Sunday 10 June 2012

Still Cornish - Cornish Pasties

Having written something about Cornwall and using Cornish clotted cream, it didn't let me sleep properly so to say. Somehow I was still in Cornwall, mentally of course, after this post. It was really lovely there.



We met some nice fellows over there - couldn't resist to make contact. They would have loved to escape their "prison" - at least one of them at that time.


Then there were those beautiful houses to inspect, both inside and outside, including beautiful gardens with a lot of colour.
Well there are some kind of encounters she doesn't appreciate. I don't know why!


But the horse was safe this time. Lucy couldn't get it.
What more then can I do apart from looking through my old pictures. Of course, I can cook something. Cornish pasties would be very nice! By the way, there is still some beef in the fridge I need to get rid of.
For the pastry, though, I'm not ready for experimenting. So I think hard, where I have a recipe. Of course, there must be one in Jamie's Great Britain.  I know I can trust him, these things work.
Said and done with 500 g of flour, 250 g butter, pinch of salt and about 200 ml of cold water. Worked well! As expected!


As to the filling then, I have to go my own way, again throwing things I find together to a bowl. Can you spot what I used?


Of course, there is this leftover beef, and maybe you can spot the potatoes and the onions lingering in there. You might even notice tiny bits of cheese. What you might not be able to see in here is the rosemary, salt and pepper. Fair enough! They are quite to small to see on here. The olive oil you don't see as well. Maybe this is due to the fact that I took the picture before adding it. But who knows whether you would spot it if I had it done the other way round. Finally there is the secret ingredient, having something to do with Guinness (of course, if I would tell you, it wouldn't be secret anymore, would it).
Whatever you like in your Cornish Pasties, you would use that, I guess.


So, no big deal! Rolling out the pastry and placing a handful of filling in the middle. I used a bit of egg wash as a glue here.


That doesn't look too bad. It only needs to go to the oven with it's five other friends for 35 minutes at 200°C. 
After that you only have to decide how to eat your Cornish Pasties. That shouldn't be too difficult. I got some salad from my windowsill and some cucumber wedges from the depths of the fridge!


However, will one Cornish Pasty be enough? I will talk about it no more ...

Well, initially, I didn't intend do it, but now this post goes as well to the blog challenge: Best of British.


 
This blog challenge you still can find here (Chocolate Log Blog) and here (The Face of New World Appliances) and here (London Unattached).

14 comments:

  1. I love Cornish pasties, I like that you've added a few extra bits too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just put in, what was "hanging around without job"!

      Delete
  2. Chris these look lovely you should enter the Cornish best of British challenge run by Karen and Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to check, whether I can enter two posts.

      Delete
  3. Another #bestofbritish by chris? (see the strawberry rhubarb tiramisu)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done, looks like a perfect interpretation of a Cornish past ;-). Are you entering these into BestofBritish - Cornwall too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, there would be some editing necessary then.

      Delete
  5. Amazing photo's lovely blog! thanks for leading me here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess, I could even do a few more posts with my Cornwall photos. I only would need to think a bit harder about it ...

      Delete
  6. This looks great! Love your blog you are so interesting so excited to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a bit moody, though. So things could go into any direction. I don't know ...

      Delete
  7. OH! So good ... I love that you can be free-wheeling with the ingredients of the filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if it tastes nice, then it's good. If you select the wrong ingredeients and it tastes bad, well, you have to endure it ...

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.