Friday 8 June 2012

Cornish Strawberry-Rhubarb Tiramisu

What a beautiful day! I don’t have to go to work today – an extra day off. I saw even the sun today and was tempted to lie down in the garden, in the sun.


It almost felt like holiday! At least a few features were fitting: no work, sun.
Of course having these two features and adding Cornwall to it would make things perfect.
Well it was a great time in Cornwall. There are tons of good memories.

Tintagel castle (with guard dog)
you have a great view from up there




nice fishing villages


the harbour of St. Ives

view from Lands End

the Minack Theatre ...

... with a nice view as well
 

The memories also have to do with food. I can’t remember how many Cornish pasties, but “I had them all!” and would I have had more time, even more.
Well, in between, of course there needs to be time for a good old cream tea with fine Cornish clotted cream.
From the past back to the present.
That brings us also to a blog challenge: Best of British, which features, what a surprise, the region of Cornwall this month.



More about this blog challenge you find here (Chocolate Log Blog) and here (The Face of New World Appliances) and here (London Unattached).
Let's talk food then.

Cornish Strawberry-Rhubarb Tiramisu

What do we need then for this waistline developing dish (if you are careful, nothing might happen, though)?


Let’s talk food then (of course I know that tiramisu is not Cornish, but clotted cream is not Italian).

Ingredients
200 g strawberries
200 g rhubarb
250 g mascarpone
250 g Cornish clotted cream (that is what it makes Cornish)
8 sponge fingers (at least)
one vanilla pod
5 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
one tablespoon of fructose
8 cl of strawberry liqueur (you might meed more when you like to drink during the preparation)
some wild strawberries
50 g of white chocolate

Then do it
Oh, you want me to tell you. Good!


Line a 24 x 24 cm form with the sponge fingers. You can add more in a second layer if you feel like it. 


Use the strawberries and rhubarb to make a nice compote in a pot on a medium heat. Add here also 4 cl of the liqueur (to the pot – and one to yourself if you have to (I’m not encouraging drinking though)) and the fructose. Cook it until the rhubarb starts to melt.
In the meantime whip up the mascarpone and the clotted cream together with the vanilla sugar and the seeds from the vanilla pod (if you can get only cheap dry vanilla pods, don’t bother using them). Well, and don’t forget to add 4 cl of the liqueur here as well (yes, I know). You get a slightly pinkish cream.



Spoon the compote over the sponge fingers. Do it carefully, you don’t want to make a mess, do you?


 
If you have managed, you can spoon over the slightly pinkish cream. Then you have to decide, what to do with the remaining cream you didn’t manage to get from the bowl.
Although I got unexpected company in the kitchen, I didn’t do what you might think I did.


(That is Willy. I try to keep an eye on him while his owner is away - EXTRA CHALLENGE! No worries, we get by!)
The whole thing we finish off with some nice wild strawberries I just got fresh from my garden today (while keeping an eye on Willy and Lucy – OK – Molly was also visiting – three dogs – no worries).
Finally or last but not least, grate the white chocolate on top.



Put it as it is in the fridge for a few hours and then indulge!

That should be all then. Now I can continue enjoying my holiday in "Cornwall".



13 comments:

  1. Well you were very lucky with all that blue sky in Cornwall. Having said that I can see about an inch square of it out of the window AND it's not raining either! Lovely photos, although you didn't mention the guard dog at Minack.

    Great entry to Cornwall's Best of British. Thank you. I don't normally like Tiramisu as I'm not a fan of coffee, but I think I could be tempted by a bowl or three of this. Rhubarb and strawberries grow really well in Cornwall, so triple points for that (not that you get any points really, I hasten to add).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Good then, that there is no coffee in tis tiramisu.
      Well, actually, there was quite some rain at St. Austel on the day we have been to Lands End and the Minack Theatre, but luckily, the rain was only in St. Austel.

      Delete
  2. Cornwall looks beautiful my friend :D
    But my heart is stolen by your clever twist on tiramisu - stunning dessseert :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It makes me automatically want to go on holiday ...

      Delete
  4. Fantastic dish and one I would happily enjoy as I love the combination of rhubarb & strawberries. Thanks for entering #oneingredient too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Well, I forgot to mention that I read somewhere that the strawberry-rhubarb combination is also good if you have certain stomach problems.

      Delete
  5. Wunderschöne Bilder.
    Da möchte ich auch gerne hin :)
    Liebe Grüße
    Steffi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke! Ist auch sehr schön dort! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. A gorgeous set of photos and a delicious tiramisu. Will have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... that visit was so nice.
      Thank you! While you mention it, I could have some tiramisu right now as well ... but maybe I get yet another idea!

      Delete
  7. Thank you,loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.