Wednesday 11 December 2013

South African Dinner: Bobotie with Yellow Rice and Tomato & Onion Sambal

Finally I safe one hour travelling time for every day I go to  work. That is even the case when I use my bike to go to work. So I get some exercise, although up to know it's quite exhausting to get back home after work, and I get more time at home.
One thing I can do with that, is concentrate more on cooking and baking. I even might have the chance to work some of the puddings and cakes off with my exercises. Then maybe not, but I should do more sweet stuff anyway.
Today, though, I am not focusing on the sweet side ... although ... hm ... there might be a slightly sweet touch in the dish for today. It's for Bloggers Around the World: South Africa.


So I am having some Bobotie with Yellow Rice and Tomato & Onion Sambal. I did a little bit of research for that, so I reckon, that's the way to have it ...


Now we have to see how to do it ...

Mainly I like to focus on the Bobotie here.

Ingredients:
1 slice white bread
1 cup of milk
2 tbsp. butter
500 g minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. curry powder
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. mango chutney
Salt, Pepper
Juice of 3 lemons
3 eggs
50 g raisins
25 g chopped almonds

Method:
Start off by soaking the bread in the milk.
In the meantime melt the butter in a pan and then fry the minced meet in it until all is cooked well. Transfer the meat to a large bowl. At this point it is sufficient that the bread was soaked in the milk. So, squeeze the bread and add the bread to the bowl with the meat. Keep the milk.
In the remaining fat in your pan, the chopped onion and crushed garlic are added and cooked until the onions are translucent.
At this point add the curry powder, brown sugar, mango chutney, salt and pepper. Use pepper at own free will. Stir through and cook for about two minutes and pour in the lemon juice ... hm ... or squeeze it in. Bring it to the boil and simmer until most of the liquid is gone again.
Then transfer the content of the pan to the bowl with the meat.
While you are at it, also put the raisins, almonds and one egg into the mix. Yes, of course, you don't add the egg with the shell. I thought, I didn't have to mention it.
Anyway, knead the mixture so that everything comes together. Now you can push the mixture into an oven-proof dish.
Did you really reserve the milk from the beginning? Yes, we need it right now. Whisk the two remaining eggs into the milk and pour it over the meat in the oven-proof dish.
It only makes sense that we are using the oven right now. Why else should we use an oven-proof dish? Oh ... you are right, I didn't mention to pre-heat your oven t 180 °C, but ... you do read recipes completely anyway before you start cooking, don't you.
Right, sometimes I forget that myself.
No matter what the case is, the Bobotie needs to go to the oven for 30 minutes.
That should give you ample of time to prepare the yellow rice and the tomato & onion sambal as well.
For the yellow rice you will need a knob of butter, ground cinnamon, a small cinnamon stick, turmeric and some raisins. just cook those ingredients all together with the rice.
For the tomato & onion sambal you need a few chopped tomatoes, one shredded carrot, one chopped onion, 50 ml vinegar, 10 g sugar and 2 chopped green chillies. Bring it altogether. If you want more, use more ...


The Bobotie should work for 4 not so greedy people. Of course, a lot also depends on how much rice and sambal you offer or whether you have anything else on the table as entrée or pudding.
Well, it's such a lovely dish. You have the combination of sweet and sour, soft and crunchy and if you take a bit from the sambal you have something hot as well.


I enjoyed it that way very much and will for sure do it again one day. It's something good for visitors, I reckon ... if I get any. Right, it all depends on me inviting someone. I got it.
Now I have to see, if I manage anything else South African this month. However, I hope, you find the time to get some nice ideas, too.

Then, before I leave you with this, I add this post also to Javelin Warrior's Made with Love Mondays. After all, it's all from scratch ...

JWsMadeWLuvMondays

3 comments:

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.