Thursday 13 February 2014

Long Due Vegetarian Borscht with Mushrooms

Sometimes things come together. Sometimes it takes a while until they do. As you know we are visiting Russia for our Bloggers Around the World challenge this month.
Usually what you have to do - that is if you don't have any kind of particular knowledge in that kind of cuisine - is do some research on that cuisine, in this instance, Russian cuisine. Well, as I told you, what comes to my mind in connection with Russian cuisine, is borscht or you may want to call it borshch. Anyway, I even have to do research for that. Still there are variations. Some put meat in it, some add cabbage and ...
... today we are having none of that. Since this going to be vegetarian, of course there will be no meat, but there won't be any cabbage either, although some believe that it is an essential ingredient in borscht.
But have a look ...


What do you say?

Now, as to the recipe ... I said sometimes it takes a while until things come together. Already on 11th of October 2012 I read a recipe of borscht on Galina's blog Chez Maximka. I told her: "I had that also on my list. I will try it one day." That day has come.
So, if you want to know the recipe, you have to head over to Chez Maximka and then you will see it.
Basically, I followed  the recipe as good as I could. That just meant to omit the celery stalk and exchange the Heinz ketchup with tomato puree and I had to use different mushrooms. Then, I suppose I used a tiny bit more garlic, but just a tiny bit.


I have to say, that for me the beets, the dill and the sour cream were the essentials in that soup. Whatsoever, I think my soup had a slightly different colour in comparison to Galina's soup.
The important thing, though, was the taste and taste it did. I enjoyed my borshch very much and not just one day. I don't know whether that is going to help me ... having more soup I mean and weight I mean.


So, now here we finally have another entry for Bloggers Around the World: Russia. I would have to file that under discipline 3. Soups.


As I finally cooked a bookmarked recipe, I will submit this also to Jacqueline's Bookmarked Recipes over at Tinned Tomatoes.


So ... what are you doing next?

10 comments:

  1. that looks beautiful.. my grandma (who's mother was russian) used to make the most wonderful borscht... always nice to have a warm bowl of soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dom! There was a time, when I didn't do soup so often, but lately I have come to appreciate it more and more.

      Delete
  2. Haha Chris, you are as bad as me. It usually takes me years to get around to making something I've bookmarked - if I ever manage it at all. I remember borscht with great fondness from my visit to Russia many years ago. Yours looks good, even without the cabbage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um ... eh ... yes. I reckon it goes a lot faster to try bookmarked recipes, when it comes to sweet things.

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with your borscht-making skills, Chris! It looks delicious! Thank you for your kind mention of my recipe and blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your recipe, Galina. It was very luvly.

      Delete
  4. Your borscht looks delicious. I've never had a Russian borscht but I used to live in Poland and loved it when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the way it looks.Are there any major differences then between the Russian and the Polish version?

      Delete
  5. That's one gorgeous looking soup and glad you added those mushrooms. Oh and the Bookmarked Recipes Roundup is live. Shockingly late, but up. Thanks for joining in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The mushrooms are really food in it. Regarding the Roundup ... sometimes things are like this. No worries!

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.