Monday 10 February 2014

Breaking Bad ... ? ... Baking Bread ... BAT sandwich ... ?

Sometimes things can be quite confusing and get mixed up. Because of that, at times I end up writing the second word even before I have started finishing the first word. Therefore baking bread can easily turn into breaking bad. Not that I want to write about any analogies between the crime drama series and the production of baked goods. I wouldn't have any ideas regarding that ... right now.
Anyway, why the confusion? Is it because of limited rain capacity, stress, information overload or any kind of subconscious dealings with hidden problems from the past. No, I don't want to take a psychological approach to bread baking either, although ... as far as I see it,breaking your own bread can be quite relaxing and you have a wonderful smell in the house and ... if you do not mess it up totally... you get a lovely tasting bread and ... for example ... you could do a delicious sandwich with your own bread, like this Open BAT sandwich ...


No, that wasn't a reference to Batman, just Bacon Avocado Tomato Sandwich.
What is your favourite approach ... no, I'm not referring to the psychological thing again ... method and way of baking your own bread?

Before I tell you more about the bread baking, just some details to the BAT sandwich.

As a base I used some homemade onion bread.
Now, push the flesh of the avocado through a sieve and then season with salt and chilli flakes.
Next, have some fried bacon ready to place on top of the avocado puree.
Following that, have a layer of finely cut tomatoes, finished off by some shavings of Parmesan.

About the bread now. Usually I go for a yeast dough with the following ...

Ingredients:
500 g flour (wheat or whole wheat or a mixture or maybe some rye or spelt ... anything goes)
Pinch of salt
7 g dried yeast
1 tsp of sugar
300 ml of lukewarm water (reduce when using wet flavourings)

Method:
Add the salt to the flour and the yeast and the sugar to the water. Give the yeast a little bit time to work.
Then pour the yeasty water into the flour and work it all into a lovely dough. Get it onto your kitchen surface and flatten the dough by pushing and pulling it to the sides. Roll in the dough and repeat this step for about seven times or just knead your dough as you always do to release the gluten.
After that you could get in your flavourings. For an onion, obviously, you need some kind of onions. I used one finely chopped onion, which I fried in a bit of olive oil (ah, I wasn't using the 300 ml of water).
Make sure you get the onions incorporated properly. You could use the pulling and pushing method. When you have flattened your dough, give the onions on top and roll it in and repeat ... you know.


Now I have heard you could also put your dough under a bowl to let it rise. I tried that and it worked lovely for me.


I went back three times, every 20 minutes to push the dough back together to improve the gluten and rising part.
Then I took a wooden board and scattered some semolina on it and then placed the dough on it. At  the same time I pulled a plastic bag over the board with dough.


Right after that I started to preheat my oven to 250 °C. The dough needs one hour proving.
Finally the dough should be ready to go into the oven on a baking tray. Don't forget to make some slashes on into the dough at the top of the loaf before you put it into the oven. 
Add some ice cubes onto another baking tray below to create some steam in the oven that should help form a better crust for the bread.
Once that is accomplished reduce the heat to 200 °C and bake the bread for 30 minutes.
Before you remove your bread, you turn off the oven and open it just a tiny bit to let the moisture out. Leave the bread for another 5 minutes in the oven.
Then we are finished.


Using that way f baking bread has improved my breads in comparison of what I had before.
At this point we have our own bread to make our Open BAT sandwich. In fact, we made everything from scratch. That's why I enter this sandwich into Javelin Warrior's Made with Love Mondays.

JWsMadeWLuvMondays

Another lovely bread I did lately was with 300 g wheat flour and 200 g whole wheat flour and 200 g of hazelnuts.


Have a look inside as well. You don't want to miss this ...


... doesn't that look lovely. You get a nice crunch of from he hazelnuts all the way through.
So,whether you like Batman or Breaking Bad ... I hope you will enjoy Baking Bread.

4 comments:

  1. Bacon, avocado and tomato are so wonderful together, especially on homemade bread! This sound so good and such a simple meal that's always welcome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Javelin! Yes, that is a really lovely combination, I will go for it again.

      Delete
  2. That looks amazing. I am not good with bread, will have to give it another go

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.