Thursday 24 October 2013

Rice, Spinach, Egg, Feta ... Spanakorizo

So far, things are still fine. After all, the sun is shining today and it's still quite warm. So I enjoy it ... and while we are at it, we can go for some more Mediterranean food. My mind is still on the current Bloggers Around the World: Greece. And once more I like to go for a vegetarian dish: Spanakorizo. Some rice, spinach and egg is involved. Of course I make sure we aren't going to miss out in the feat department. Whatsoever, the name of the dish would be translated spinach and rice.


If you have some fresh spinach available go for it. However, I had to use frozen one. No worries, both ways it's going to work ... Wish I could say the same for my spinach in the garden, which didn't work at all this year.
Now, though, we want to cook ...

In case you are using fresh spinach, you might go ahead and wilt it beforehand.
Let us start then ...

Ingredients:
Olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp dill
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper
2 cups (I used a small cup) of rice
4 cups of water
300 g spinach
Eggs and feta for serving

Method:
Heat up the onion in a sufficiently large pot. Add the chopped onion, the dill and cumin. Go on until the onions give you that certain look ... you know.
Get in the rice and water together with a pinch of salt. Toss in your frozen or wilted spinach, too. Then bring it all to the boil. Once you have achieved that, turn down the heat to very low and put on the lid of the pot. Let the meal work for itself for 20 minutes.
After that you might still want to adjust the taste with salt and pepper as you feel right.
Serve the Spankorizo with a fried egg for each plate and some cubes of feta cheese.


Then enjoy your Greek meal ... I indeed did. The fried egg and the feta give the dish the special something I wouldn't want to miss. Well, and preparing this dish is no big deal. It can easily be done.
 

There is still more great Greek food to discover. I hope you will also come up with some more lovely dishes for Bloggers Around the World.

5 comments:

  1. wow Christian, this looks so unbelievably tempting... i love the look of that runny egg on top... want this for my dinner tonight x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, that shouldn't be too difficult, provided you have all the ingredients ready.

      Delete
  2. It makes me so home sick...! :) It's been a long time since I made spanakorizo... http://ifthechouxfits.com/2013/spinach-recipe-for-dinner/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks completely delicious and my type of food Chris. Everyone tells me that as a vegetarian, I'd have a hard time in Greece, but maybe not ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that I wanted to show. The usual Greek food I know is full of meat, but I wanted to see the non-meat dishes.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.