Saturday 22 September 2012

Red Hot Pumpkin Curry for #BestOfBritish

This time the Best of British challenge takes us to London as Fiona from London Unattached takes over. It's lovely to visit London and there is much to see and, of course, many different things to eat. I like going there and have done so accordingly quite a few times. On one of my last visits I went to this lovely Indian Supper Club. A few days later I was on the streets, somewhere to where a lot of shops with goods from India were. There I bought this.


Now I have an Indian spice tin, a masala dabba. That's what I want to use this time for my Red Hot Pumpkin Curry. Yes, I'm still working on using all my fresh chillies from the windowsill.



Ingredients:

Oil for the pan

2 small onions (or one big one - ha ha), finely chopped

2 cloves of garlic, squeezed

2 carrots, in cubes

1 courgette, in cubes

1 green bell pepper, in stripes (kind of)

1/2 Hokkaido pumpkin
, in cubes
1-4 fresh red chillies
(you know what to do, to make it red HOT)
1 tsp tumeric

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp nigella seeds (don't get this wrong)

1 tsp crushed coriander seeds

400 ml tinned tomatoes


Preparation:

The battle is on now. Well, I bet you have a lot of fun with all this chopping and crushing and squeezing and cutting into pieces and stripes.




To get the base for our curry, we heat up the oil and then gently cook the onions and the garlic for a while, but don't let them go brownish.

Then add all the other vegetables, apart from the tinned tomatoes. Fry it all for about ten minutes, together with the nice spices.

Then we can add the tomatoes and if you like liquid, add a bit of water, too. Cover it and let it all simmer for some minutes.
To be more precise, if you want to have steamed rice together with it, which takes about 20 minutes, you can leave the curry to simmer for the same time it takes to prepare the rice.

When all is done, you only have to serve it and eat it.
I still had some mini papadums, I wanted to use together with it. On the package it says, they would be suitable for the microwave as well and so I did. I thought one minute would do. That was a grave mistake. Well, I had to live with a horrible smell in the kitchen for a few days and some black papadums.
However, after adding some more and watching while they unfolded, I was still able to enjoy some with a little bit of mango chutney.


best of british London


Time is really running by. Here goes another Best of British challenge together with The Face of New World Appliances.
Well, as I said, it is always a pleasure to go and visit London. I wonder, when I will go next time ...

8 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds like the perfect fall dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that isn't gonna warm you up, I don't know what will do! Right, so it seems quite good for that time of the year.

      Delete
  2. love your masala dabba. The curry looks good and I'm so impressed with your little moulded portion of rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice! I learned that moulding in London, too.

      Delete
  3. Oh, isn't that funny Chris that we were both inspired by Indian cuisine for our BoB London. I love pumpkin curry and next to dhal, it's my favourite. I'm very envious of your masal dabba, which looks just the sort of thing any curry lover ought to have in their kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny. I read your post the other day - totally yummy.
      When I saw a masala dabba for the first time, I thought by myself, I need such a thing ... and finally got one. You can order them online as well, but I wanted to buy it ... live!

      Delete
  4. Lovely Chris!!! I've been away in Sicily hence not commenting earlier...sound fabulous though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I 'heard' you were enjoying yourself very much in Sicily. Good!

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.