Saturday 14 December 2013

Indy's Mysterious Daim Chocolate Apple Cake

It's about time again I get out my hat. Indeed, that might be useful in this kind f weather we have at this time of the year. However, it's not just the hat, I'm getting out and it's for a totally different reason ...

... it's for baking! There are still so many baking adventures out there, I better get going for it and get in the right frame of mind for it. So, I take my bullwhip and whip up some kind of mysterious cake ... with Daim chocolate and apples ...


Are you ready for the adventure?
Let's see how adventurous things are going to get. We already have our gear (hat and whip) ready. What else do we need?

Adventure ingredients:
150 g sugar
2 eggs
250 g flour
1 tsp. baking powder
200 g butter
450 g apples
Juice of one lemon
50 g ground almonds
Pinch of salt
100 g Daim chocolate

The adventure:
As we set out on our journey we plan to pre-heat the oven to 180 °C when we are ready for it.
In the meantime, though, we whip together the sugar and the egg yolks of the two eggs, while we put the egg whites to the side to be whipped up together with a pinch of salt later on.
Then we get the flour together with the baking powder ready and using a sieve get it into the bowl o the sugar and the egg yolks.
Following that we cut us through the butter and ... cut it into smaller pieces. Feel free to use a machete for that. At least we can have a proper mess in the kitchen that way.
Rub the butter into the flour using those lovely fingers you were delivered with.
For the next step you could use your machete again, although that would require a lot of skill. Eh ... I didn't want to find out, so I used some of those kitchen gadgets I have. First I peeled the apples and then ... I got out the gadget I originally wanted to throw away. However, incidentally I found out how useful it is. A quick move with your hands and the apple is cored and already split into pieces. A little extra cutting with the knife and we have small rough apple pieces, which we can toss into the bowl. Squeeze over the juice of one lemon.
Quickly add the ground almonds and mix the content of the bowl well.


It's time for the egg whites. Today I decided not to use the electric mixer, but to have some exercise again by beating up those poor egg whites with a hand whisk ... it was even too messy for me to use the whip at this point.
After a little workout for the arms fold in the egg whites.
Now you only need to transfer the cake batter into a buttered cake tin and then together with this very tin into your hopefully pre-heated oven. Bake it for 30-40 minutes checking you don't get a black cake, but a nice brownish golden one.
Once the cake returns from the oven, there is no time for cooling off. It's time for ... the grater. So I grate the chocolate over the still warm cake. It's a little bit arduous to get the whole 100 g of chocolate grated over the cake. Of course you could use chocolate in a slightly different form, if you want to avoid this kind of work.


Well, what remains? The cake has to be eaten. Just relax and do it. Now that we are finished ... eh ... was this cake mysterious enough? At least I didn't have an apple cake with chocolate that often. I hope you enjoy it!

Did I ever mention, I started to write an adventure novel ... or two. I still have the handwritten scripts on my bookshelf. So far only two or three people have read what I have written. I'm not quite sure whether anything will ever happen to those books. I already thought about putting a few excerpts here on my blog, but then again ...

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had an apple and chocolate cake before either but I'd happily eat some of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, that's the spirit to go. Finally I got the chance to taste it myself and I was really pleased.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.