Sunday 23 April 2017

Panko Fried Brie with Lavender Mushrooms

While the weather is not as it’s best these days, we already had some quite pleasant days.
It’s best not to expect perfection all the time, because you are only going to be disappointed. For sure, you don’t want that. Rather concentrate on the small things of beauty always around you, appreciate that.

Then you can find enjoyment more often …
… like in a quick and simple meal with not much fuss about it. Among the simple things I enjoy is cheese. I wouldn’t want to imagine a life without cheese. If I would have to choose between cheese and meat – which one to go without, I would select the meat to go without rather than the cheese.
But, I don’t have to choose. However, for the following meal I have chosen to go without meat and with cheese … with Brie to be more precise. So we are having Panko Fried Brie with Lavender Mushrooms …

Somehow I like lavender, so I try to look for new ways to carefully introduce it into cooking. See, whether it works today.
Ingredients:
Olive oil
200 g mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
Salt, chilli
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp. lavender buds
Knob of butter
1 Brie (200 g)
1 egg
Panko (or other breadcrumbs)
Rosemary
Method:
Use two pans to get both elements ready at the same time. I used a griddle pan for the Brie.
Well then, how do we go about?
Heat up some olive oil for the mushrooms.
Prepare the brie by tossing it around in the whisked up egg. Next you have the panko ready together with some salt and finely chopped rosemary. Try as best as you can to coat the Brie with it.
The mushrooms start rolling in the pan. Season them with salt and a bit of chilli if you like.
The Brie is in the other pan. You turn it, when you think the time is right after a few minutes. If it starts oozing away in your pan, you’ve lost and evidently waited too long.
Add the lemon juice and the lavender to the mushrooms and let them continue in the heat. Finish it off with a knob of butter.
When you have done everything right, both the Brie and the mushrooms are finished at about the same time. So, serve it up …

Have some bread on the side and … whatever makes you happy. Fine, here we have another use of lavender in cooking. As I felt, the taste was good and I enjoyed it.
Do you enjoy going for a walk. I hope to walk … eh … well, a lot this year. 
Anyway, have a lovely day! Keep smiling!

2 comments:

  1. I adore cheese too! I would have never thought to put panko on brie, but it looks delicious! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.