Friday 20 January 2017

No Pirates, just food - Mofongo

Well, I don't know, what is going on, but ...

Did you know why I first liked to visit the Caribbean? Well, it was a very strange idea of mine. It had to do with Pirates. Back then there was a computer game going by that name and I used to play it a lot. After I while I thought, well, it would be nice to visit the Caribbean once. So I did.
Well, these days I haven’t much to do with Pirates or computer games, but I still like the Caribbean and to be more specific when it comes to food.
Fine, it’s no secret we are travelling to the Caribbean with our Bloggers Around the World challenge and I have also shown you some dishes I tried. Today I like to show you another one.
Of course, everything depends here on the ingredients. If you happen to get your hands on some cooking bananas you can go ahead. For we need some cooking bananas so to speak. In the Dominican Republic they go by platanos (which auto-correction tried to turn into platoons, which I really don’t appreciate of auto-correction).

The dish is called Mofongo (auto-correction had no ideas here – good). It’s a lovely side dish to put together with some meat and if you care some rice
Ingredients:
2 cooking bananas, peeled, cut into pieces
100 g ham, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 spring onions, chopped in rings
Salt pepper
Oil for frying
Method:
It’s all quite simple. Bring the oil in a pan to heat and then you fry the pieces of the cooking banana.
Then you remove the banana pieces from the pan and bash them up in a mortar.
While you have your pan still on the heat it’s good to reduce the heat a tiny bit and fry the onion, garlic and ham in it. Really, no big deal.
Once all is nice, get the mashed up bananas back into the pan and cook them together with the rest. Season it all with salt and pepper and finally add the rings of the spring onion to finish it all off.
Then enjoy your Caribbean style meal, it’s quick, simple and delicious. For sure I will have it more often, when I get my hands on cooking bananas. I have to buy them anyway each time I see them. So it’s just a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.