Sunday 21 April 2013

Bookmarked Recipe: Chocolate Guinness Cake

You know and I know it as well, that you don't have as much time as you would like to have to read through all the interesting blog posts around and read also new blogs. At times I read only those catching my interest already with the title.
The next step: trying things you read on other blogs. While I wouldn't limit it to those, the recipes I tried - on the average - where mostly those that contain chocolate in some form. Tricky!
There were times I even managed to try a recipe that I have just read. So, it's like going from computer to kitchen and go for it. That's good.
Sometimes, though, things are not that easy. A recipe I would have tried right away was the Chocolate Guinness Cake, JibberJabberUK wrote about.
When I first read it, I was short of one ingredient. So the cake would have looked like that ...


Looking like that wouldn't be a problem in itself, but I wanted to go for the whole thing. 
Due to this, I first had to get some cream cheese. Obviously, without it the cake wouldn't be complete.
Some people to whom I talked about a chocolate Guinness cake shrank back at the thought of beer in a cake. However, for those experimenting regularly in the kitchen and not being afraid of trying new things, you know that it works perfectly and gives a rich intense chocolate flavour. I liked that.
Now back to the baking. As I was shopping for food one day, I remembered I need cream cheese. So I bought a pack. 
Finally I was getting ready to do the cake. Proper planning and shopping would have been better. I didn't have the yogurt mentioned in the recipe. What now? I replaced it with milk that got a splash of lemon. I thought that might do the trick. I didn't notice anything negative afterwards.
The other fact hitting me was, that while I got some cream cheese, it was just a little bit of half what I needed. Consequently the cake ended up like this ...


I got a bit of icing training, but somehow it should have been more. No matter how it looked like now, it was absolutely worth trying that recipe. So, why don't you head over to JibberJabberUK and try it, too.
As we have come nearly to the close of this post I add it to the April Bookmarked Recipes over at Tinned Tomatoes.


For sure there will be more recipes worth trying ...

4 comments:

  1. It looks like a fab rich cake, truly decadent. The icing is a bit minimalist but you can call it an artistic decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After it was already too late, I thought I could have written a message on the cake, but ... well, call it an artistic decision.

      Delete
  2. I'm liking your inspiration there, Christian! I'm glad you got it baked in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for posting the recipe in the first place.

      Delete

Why not leave a comment!? I love to receive messages.